Using OR in a call to reduce

Hi,

I just came across a situation where I wanted to use or in a reduce call:

(reduce or false [false true true])

and found out that this is not possible with or:

CompilerException java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't take value of a macro: #'clojure.core/or, compiling:(/tmp/form-init4325941840622475340.clj:1:1) 

To make it work I have to wrap it in an anonymous function like this:

(reduce #(or %1 %2) false [false true true])

I would like to know why the first statement is not possible? Does the error message mean that would not be possible with any macro?

Thanks,
Torsten.

Hi Torsten!

Yeah, I think you got it right. Macros actually have no value at runtime. In Clojure, they throw that exception that you showed. The only place you can refer to a macro is in the first position of an application. The reason is that it gets complicated to define what it would mean to apply a macro at runtime, so the possibility is avoided altogether. Many papers have been written about it and it just doesn’t seem to have a utility to justify the complexity.

The way you worked around the situation is the right way to do it. It’s kind of unfortunate, but it’s the way it is.

Eric

Thanks Eric, for the confirmation.

In the end I could wrap it myself in a named function and then use that instead of the anonymous fn if I had to use it multiple times…

Thanks,
Torsten

You might want to check the some function as well to find a truthy value.

Thanks for the tip! I used some in a number of cases, though it never occurred to me to use it in this case :smile: